Before any major initiative can even be discussed, the US government MUST pass laws to protect online speech at the same levels of offline speech. This must include, but not be limited to:
- Warrants to access GPS signals
- Bans on data mining of personal data (including anonymized approaches)
- Bans on roving wiretaps
- Bans against Deep Packet Inspection
- Strict limitations on acceptable uses of cookies
- 4th amendment protections for data stored locally on mobile devices AND remotely in cloud based storage
The list goes on and on...